Glucocorticoids are a group of steroid hormones secreted by the adrenal cortex. They have anti-inflammatory, immunosuppressive, antiallergic and many other types of activity and they are used as a replacement therapy for adrenal insufficiency and a wide range of other pathological conditions. This prednisone is a synthetic glucocorticosteroid.
Main active ingredient
Prednisone itself is an active substance. One can buy prednisone online in a form of a tablet for oral administration.
Principle of action
According to its characteristics, prednisone is extremely close to the “standard” of all glucocorticosteroids prednisone. The drug itself is a prodrug and is inactive in its original form. This corticosteroid begins to have effects after passing through the liver, where it is converted into prednisone by chemical changes. Due to this property, it is not recommended to use for patients with liver diseases. At the same time, the price is quite affordable. Due to this, cheap prednisone has found its niche in usage.
The drug has a stabilizing effect on the cell membrane. By reducing the release of enzymes from lysosomes, suppressing the activity of phospholipiase A2 and disrupting the formation of arachidonic acid, prednisone has an anti-inflammatory effect. Disruption of arachidonic acid metabolism is key to this effect, since it prevents a cascade of biochemical reactions that result in inflammatory mediators of prostaglandins, hydroxy acids, leukotrienes and hyaluronidase. In addition, prednisone reduces capillary permeability and fibroblast activity, which contributes not only to reduce tissue edema, but also prevents the formation of coarse scars.
The anti-allergic effect of prednisone is associated with its ability to prevent mast cell degranulation and reduce the formation of antibodies and leukorienes.
The drug has anti-shock effect. It is associated with the retention of sodium ions and, as a result, of water, an increase in the susceptibility of the vascular wall to internal external vasoconstrictor factors.
Prednisone stimulates heart activity. Accelerates the elimination of toxic compounds by accelerating their metabolism in the liver and reducing the permeability of cell membranes.
The drug is indicated for use during following diseases:
- Rheumatism – autoimmune damage of connective tissue, mainly large joints, heart valves;
- Rheumatoid arthritis – an autoimmune lesion of small joints;
- Dermatomyositis – autoimmune damage of the skin and skeletal muscles;
- Periarteritis nodosa – the defeat of medium and small vessels by the inflammatory process with the formation of small aneurysms;
- Scleroderma – autoimmune skin lesion;
- Ankylosing spondylitis (ankylosing spondylitis) – autoimmune lesion of intervertebral joints;
- Bronchial asthma – an allergic disease of the respiratory tract;
- Various allergic diseases;
- Addison’s disease – chronic insufficiency of the adrenal cortex;
- Acute adrenal insufficiency;
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia (adrenogenital syndrome);
- Hypoglycemia – lowering blood sugar levels;
- Lipodine nephrosis – replacement of kidney tissues with fat cells;
- Agranulocytosis – the absence of granulocytes in the peripheral blood;
- Leukemia (leukemia) – a malignant blood tumor;
- Lymphogranulomatosis – a malignant lesion of the lymphatic system and lymph nodes;
- Thrombocytopenic purpura – a decrease of the blood platelets levels;
- Hemolytic anemia – destruction of red blood cells;
- Infectious mononucleosis – viral pathology with damage of the lymphatic system, liver and spleen;
- Acute pancreatitis;
- Pemphigus – autoimmune damage of the skin and mucous membranes with the formation of vesicles;
- Eczema – inflammation of the skin;
- Different types of dermatitis;
- Psoriasis – an autoimmune-allergic skin lesion;
- Systemic lupus erythematosus – systemic autoimmune damage to connective tissue;
- Erythroderma – a destructive lesion of the skin of various etiologies;
- Alopecia – hair loss;
- Prevention and treatment of shock of any etiology.
Prednisone can not be used in the next cases:
- Individual intolerance of the drug;
- Ulcerative lesions of the stomach and duodenum;
- Disease or Itsenko-Cushing syndrome;
- Tendency for thrombosis;
- Impaired renal function;
- High blood pressure;
- Systemic fungal diseases;
- Viral infections;
- Active tuberculosis;
- Mental disorders with productive symptoms.
Relative contraindications include:
- Infectious diseases (except syphilis, leprosy, anthrax, tetanus, actinomycosis);
- I trimester of pregnancy;
- Latent forms of tuberculosis.
Usage of prednisone may cause:
- General immunity decrease;
- Increased of blood sugar levels;
- Steroid diabetes;
- Disruption of nitrogen metabolism;
- Calcium loss from bones;
- Bone necrosis;
- Lowering of gastric juice pH;
- Ulcerative damage of the gastrointestinal tract;
- Decreased blood potassium levels;
- Delayed sodium and body water;
- Peripheral edema of soft tissues;
- Increased blood pressure;
- Excessive blood clotting;
- Itsenko-Cushing syndrome;
- Weight gain;
- “Moon-shaped” face;
- Failure of the female hormonal cycle;
- Sleep disorder;
- Weakness of skeletal muscles;
- Impaired functioning of the adrenal cortex.
Instructions for use
If you decide to purchase cheap prednisone online or in pharmacy chains, be sure to complete a full examination before taking it. The dosage of this medicine, as well as any other corticosteroid, should be chosen individually depending on the underlying pathology, its complications, body weight, kidney function, liver and other organs.
Prednisone is taken orally, according to individually selected dosage and treatment regimen. One tablet contains 5 mg of active ingredient. After taking the required dose, it should be washed down with a big amount of water.
Analogs and Substitutes
If you decided to buy a generic of prednisone, then you should pay attention not on drugs with the same active ingredient but on other glucocorticoids.
The most common drug with prednisone as an active ingredient is Rectodelt. It comes in tablet form, each tablet contains 5 mg of prednisone.
Prednisolone and Methylprednisolone
Other synthetic glucocorticosteroids. Prednisone, unlike prednisone, is not a prodrug and can be freely used during liver diseases. Methylprednisolone is 1.5 times more active in its anti-inflammatory effect and has almost no effect on the exchange of potassium and sodium ions, does not cause water retention and high blood pressure.
Among all corticosteroids, dexamethasone has the most pronounced anti-inflammatory effect, exceeding that of prednisone by almost 10 times. At the same time, it does not affect the exchange of potassium, sodium, does not causes fluid retention in the body.
Can I buy without a prescription
You do not need to torment yourself with the questions “Where can I buy cheap prednisone online or in pharmacy chains.” The drug is freely available without a prescription. The only problem is that you may encounter is that it is not as popular as other corticosteroids and, therefore, may not be on the counter. In this regard, it will be more reliable to order it from an Internet provider.